Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Holiday Weekend From Hell!

Our "Holiday" weekend turned into the weekend from hell that we were praying would end! We start our story with the knowledge that I had an English paper due on Monday and a psychology paper due on Sunday by midnight. I also had my first exam in Anatomy and physiology on Wednesday to study for and two essays for history due on Wednesday night or so I thought. On Friday afternoon I was sitting on the couch working on my English paper when my mom called to tell me her car had broken down again. She has already had it in the shop twice in the last month. She asked if my husband would be willing to take a look at it. He always tells her to call if she has car problems. I told her I would have him call her in a little bit. He had worked the night before and was just getting up. He called her back a few minutes later and said we would come over as soon as Ivy was home from school.

When Ivy got home we went over to her house. He looked at it and found out what was wrong. He needed us to go pick up the parts. The only issue was that one of the parts was right down the street but the other was about a half hour away. I said I would take mom to go pick it up. Michael stayed at my mom's and began taking off the broken pieces. Ivy stayed there with him. Bella rode along with us to get the parts. We picked up the one right down the road and dropped it off so he could get started. We then drove the half hour into the city to pick up the other part. When we got there it was not ready even though we had called in advance. I sat in the car with a toddler who was getting angrier with every passing moment. I was handing her toy after toy out of the car toy bag to buy myself precious moments of non-screaming. It worked for a a little while. I only had to listen to about 15 minutes of straight screaming before mom appeared at the door. While I was driving she called in a food order. We picked it up before getting to her place. It was getting dark so my husband said he would have to come back to finish it in the morning. I normally have class on Saturday morning but I was off for the holiday weekend. We ate dinner and packed up to head home for the night. As we were walking out mom's front door Bella threw up on the floor. That must have been my warning that life was about to get nuts! We got home OK and put the kids in bed.

On Saturday morning my husband went to finish my mom's car. I stayed home with the kids. I went to pay a couple bills. I finished my English paper and began work on my psych paper. For some reason my brain shut down after finishing my English paper. It may sound weird but I swear it refused to work at all. I struggled to get out every sentence on my psych paper. We had plans to have dinner with my dad that evening. I literally took my computer with me in case my brain decided to start working again. We ate dinner. I managed to get another paragraph out before giving it up as a lost cause. It was an OK evening.

On Sunday morning my brain slipped back into gear and started working again. I busted out the paper that had taunted me the day before in no time. We had plans to go to watch a fireworks show that night. We were all excited. We had looked forward to this for a couple weeks. They weather man was calling for rain and lots of it. We decided to go as long as they were still having it. We went grocery shopping and my husband made us some enchiladas before leaving to meet my Dad for fireworks. We stopped for gas on the way there. While waiting for my husband to pump gas my phone rang. It was my Dad. I answered and he says "I don't think we will be going to fireworks." I said "OK, did they cancel due to weather?" He said  "No, they are still on but Cassie (my sister) and I wouldn't be able to make it. We just got home and somebody robbed us." I sat stunned for a minute. I asked "Are you OK?" He said "Yeah. They were gone when we got here. They tore the house up pretty bad. Your sister is crazy. We are waiting for the cops to show. Were you on your way here?" I said, "Yeah, we are on our way. I will be there soon!" We got down there a few minutes later. The cops still had not shown up. I asked Dad why they had not showed up yet. He said that they had told him that they were too busy with the firework show crowd and would get to him when they had time!

The robbers did in fact tear his house to shreds! They dumped out every drawer, cleared off shelving, and even flipped over their mattresses! They stole quite a bit including two laptops and my dad's medication. We were not supposed to go into the house because we could compromise the scene. It was pouring  down rain! We were had to wait on the porch or in the cars. Dad had to wait there for the cops to show up and we were not going to leave him to wait alone. My mom came down to check in on him as well. They are no longer married but have remained friends. After waiting for 2 hours a bike cop finally arrived. He went through the house, took photo's and did some fingerprinting. When he was about half done the kids would not hold out any longer. I told Dad that I was sorry but we were not being any help anyway. It was late in the after midnight range at this point.

We took the kids home and got them in bed. My sister called to chat a little after the cop left. She was so upset and scared to sleep. After I got off the phone with her I crashed. On Monday we went back over to Dad's to help them finish cleaning up. They had most of it done but we hung around any way as support systems should. We had a simple dinner of grilled burgers and smoked sausages. I rode with my sister back to my mom's so she could have her car there. She has not taken her driving test yet. She needed Dad's car there so she could take it this week. She has been old enough for over a year back she just wasn't ready yet.

We didn't hang around Mom's. We were tired and just wanted to be home for a while. I made a brownie dessert with a chocolate chip cookie topping. We ate it and watched TV shows on the DVR. The kids got baths. We all went to bed fairly early. That evening was the highlight of my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment