Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where were you on that fateful day?

Today is the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 World Trade Tower attacks. I watched 102 minutes that changed history this morning. In a moment it all came rushing back. The fear, the shock, the sadness was all there again. On the morning of 9/11/2001 I was sitting in my living room watching Disney channel and playing with my daughter who was only eight months old. We were dancing to a commercial when the television went black. A moment later white type appeared on the screen. It said please tune to CNN. I reached over and grabbed the remote control off the sofa. I flipped the channel to CNN at told. I was stunned when the towers were shown. I honestly did not know what was going on at first. I listened for a minute and then the news anchor said the World Trade Tower had been hit. Over the hours that followed I sat in horror watching as the video of the second tower being hit was played. I clutched Ivy to me as the reality of what was happening began to take hold. I cried as I watched people jump or fall to their deaths. The shock of the Pentagon being hit. The brave people who managed to take down one of the planes are hero's.

The price gauging that I heard about a few hours after the attacks were just as surprising to me. I got phone calls all day. Some people checking in, Others called to report on gas prices or lines at gas stations. I have never been so happy to see my husband as I was that night. He had left for work before the attacks. This morning I sat watching with my husband. The tears still came. This is one of the few moments in history that all Americans will never forget. Where were you when America stopped? My hope is you were far from the attack, that you were home and with loved ones.  Tonight as you end this day remember what it means. Remember the lives lost. Kiss your babies extra for the parents who are now unable to kiss theirs. Hug your spouse tightly for the ones who no longer may. Tell your parents you love them dearly for those who no longer have a parent to call. Count yourself blessed and never forget the ones who were not as lucky. If you lost someone in the attacks or in the plane crash I am sorry. My heart was with you today and remains with you.

Never Forget 9/11

No comments:

Post a Comment