Monday, August 1, 2011

Hives!

This morning Bella, my toddler, got up with a slightly red butt and a small reddened area near her belly button. I figured her stomach was red because she had slept on her tummy and it was a mark from her clothing. I changed her diaper, put on a little diaper rash cream and started the day. She ate a scant breakfast, just a banana and a cup of milk. That is odd for her but not unheard of. I changed her diaper about an hour after breakfast and she was still red. I was playing with her. I lifted up her shirt to kiss her belly and stopped in shock. She was covered in HIVES! I called the doctor's office and let them know what I found. They asked if she was having any trouble breathing. I said no. (I mean seriously, if she was having trouble breathing I would have took her to the hospital not called the doctor's office, lol.) They said to take photographs of the rash and give her benedryl. They said to take her to the emergency room if it got worse or she had trouble breathing. They made her a sick appointment for this afternoon to see how she was doing.
The doctor said they are not going to label it as an allergic reaction yet. If it happens again in the future we will re-evaluate at that time. He said it could be a viral infection. She is on anti-histamines for the next week just to be on the safe side. I will let you know if we get any updates but as of right now that is all I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment